Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Xbox Originals: Sid Meier's Pirates

Thought I would do a little pimpage since I have spent more time playing this game than I have playing CoD4 of late. If you didn't get a chance to try Pirates when it came out for the Xbox in 2005, now is a great time to spend the $15 and download this game to your 360.

The premise is simple. You are a sailor and the son of an imprisoned family. You get fed up with your captain one day and help mutiny and they pick you as the new captain. So now it is up to you with how you will control the destiny of your ship and your life. Be a pirate or a trader. Ally yourself with the Spanish, French, English, or Dutch. Run missions for these factions or for the pirates. Get married to every governor's daughter you meet. Really it is wide open in the single player game and I found it to be intensely fun. The sea battles were the most compelling part of the game while the dancing sequence was just a pure hassle. But gaining a fleet of ships at your command is just rewarding as you play through.

As for the multiplayer aspect, I have yet to try it. I am still waiting to find someone to play against, but my current expectation is that it will be straight up deathmatch sea battles. I am not sure if it will be a lot of fun, but will be worth the try.

So if you are a fan of the pirate lifestyle, or just looking to kill some time sailing the Caribbeans, then this game is for you. 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Get Some Games!