Wednesday, March 19, 2008

More on the Co-op gaming bill of rights

As initially proposed by Tycho of Penny Arcade and then further thought upon by many industry insiders, there seems to be an initial draft of the Co-op Game Bill of Rights: 2008 Edition. Please feel free to take a gander at this. But in opinion, this actually takes it too far. From my view it should be a simple set of rights.

  1. My game will not be diminished by playing co-op versus single player
  2. I can quickly join and drop from a co-op session without impacting play
  3. Co-op should not be a live only affair nor require live accounts for local or LAN events
  4. Achievements should be granted in a co-op even if they occur out of order


That's it. I think anything on top of that is gravy for gamers. I am sure lots of developers and producers might complain that a game is hard enough to balance for a single player and to then balance it for a co-op session would be technically and monetarily not feasible, but to me, with a large set of difficulties and a good revive the dead aspect (for lesser players), you can create fun environments still in a co-op sense. Although, I think I would need to talk to some of my game developer friends to see what their take on balance is.

Feel free to discuss in the comments.

No comments:

Get Some Games!